- Active cyber attacks versus passive cyber attackAn active cyber attack is perpetrated by an intentional threat source that attempts to alter a system, its resources, its data, or its operations. In contrast, a passive cyber attack infiltrates purely in order to make use or data or learn information.
- Acumen FundAcumen is a $64 million charitable fund which raises charitable donations to invest into companies, leaders, and ideas who tackle poverty in developing countries. The fund operates like a venture capital fund for the poor, supported by a global community of philanthropists willing to take a(...)
- altcoinAltcoins are alternative cryptocurrencies to bitcoin. Examples of altcoins include ripple, zcash, monero and dash.Altcoins can differ from Bitcoin in a number of ways. Some have a different economic model or a different coin-distribution method, like altcoins that were given away to all(...)
- BaselBasel is a country, but Basel III is an international regulatory framework for banks developed by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision in response to the 2008 financial crisis. In law as of December 7, 2017, Basel III aims to strengthen the regulation, supervision and risk management in banks.
- Big data miningBig Data Mining The task of extracting useful and valuable information from massive datasets. Mining is perceived as useful because with machine learning and algorithms one can not only detect patterns, and therefore deducible knowledge. In addition to patterns, data mining can detect other(...)
- BilltectaLearn more.
- BLOXPOBlockchain event. For more details visit their website.
- challenger bankA challenger or neobank is the term used to define a new firm which offers alternative banking services to traditional institutions.The rise of challenger banks began in 2013, after the FCA loosened laws and requirements needed for organisations to open banking establishments.
- Clickstream logsClickstream logs are the recording of an Internet user’s path taken as they visit various websites. Software is available to allow companies to record the clickstreams of visitors on their own websites for marketing purposes. Clickstream software is also used to monitor staff behaviour(...)
- ClusteringClusteringBased on artificial intelligence algorithms, clusteringmethods can be used to detect anomalies in customer purchasing behaviour.Clusters are identified electronically using an iterative computer programs and grouped thematically. When incoming data does not fit in an(...)
- Comprehensive Capital Analysis and ReviewThe Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review, or CCAR, is a US regulatory framework which evaluates the capital planning processes and capital adequacy of the largest U.S.-based bank holding companies, including the firms' planned capital actions, such as dividend payments and share buybacks.(...)
- Decision TreeDecision TreeA diagram which uses dichotomy to informally detect credit card fraud in big data.
- digital foreign exchangeA digital currency exchange (DCE), also known as a crypto exchange, is a marketplace which allows for the purchasing, exchanging and selling of electronic currency as a legal tender. Digital currency exchanges occur online, though firms may have physical offices. To read more about digital(...)
- Distributed ledger technologyDistributed ledger technology (DLT) is one innovation that has been cited as a means of transforming payment, clearing, and settlement (PCS) processes, including how funds are transferred and how securities, commodities, and derivatives are cleared and settled.Distributed(...)
- Dodd-FrankThe Dodd-Frank is the abbreviation for the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (signed into United States federal law in 2010 Created in response to the 2008 financial crisis, the act brings changes to financial regulation to federal financial regulatory agencies and(...)
- e-TransformationThe e-Transformation Turkey Project was launched in 2011 as part of Turkey’s commitment to join the European Union and, in particular, to leverage Turkey’s potential to become an important player in the global arena. In the scope of the objective declared above, new Telecommunication law,(...)
- fintech sandbox
- Grameen FoundationFounded in 1997 and inspired by the work of Nobel Laureate and founder of Grameen Brank Professor Muhammad Yunus, the Grameen Foundation is a non-profit which leverages its network of microfinance institutions in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and the Middle East to extend microfinance(...)
- ‘How Financial Institutions and Fintechs Are Partnering for Inclusion: Lessons from the Frontlines’This report by the Centre of Financial Inclusion details how the relationship between fintechs and banks has evolved from competitors to potential partners. To read more, click here.
- ICO token
- iZettlePayment platform for small businesses.
- KlarnaDigital Swedish bank
- KYCKYC stands for “Know Your Customer”. In banking, it is a process by which banks obtain information about the identity and address of the customers. This process helps to ensure that banks' services are not misused.
- LNA technology thought to be the solution to Bitcoin’s scalability problem. Read more about it here.
- MiFIDThe Markets in Financial Instruments Directive is the EU legislation that regulates firms who provide services to clients linked to ‘financial instruments’, such as shares, bonds, units in collective investment schemes and derivatives. It also affects the venues where those instruments are traded.
- NEC CapitalThe NEC Capital is a Japanese venture capitalist fund specialised in seed and early investments.
- NormalisationA process which involves reducing data duplication to a minimum, thereby reducing storage requirements. This is an important aspect of relational database which can allow for speedier queries and an increase in the performance of databases (in comparison to traditional databases).
- e-paymentE-payment or Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) is the acceptance of electronic payment.E-payments were first available via bank transfers, but over the years credit cards have overtaken and become the most used payment format for e-commerce transactions. Increased security measures(...)
- peer-to-peer lendingPeer-to-peer lending, also known as P2P, are marketplaces which bring together people or businesses that which to lend money to those that want a loan, thereby creating a space for money loaning which does not require banks.
- peer-to-peer lendingPeer-to-peer lending, also known as social lending or crowdlending, is a new and very popular method of debt financing which allows individuals and businesses alike to lend and borrow money without going through banks or an official financial institution. Its removal of banks from the lending(...)
- Penetration testingAn evaluation activity whereby assessors search for vulnerabilities in a system and seek to penetrate it.
- Private keyA confidential cryptographic key which is used to enable the operation of an asymmetric (public key) cryptographic algorithm.
- RDBMSRDBMS, which stands for relationship database management system, is used to create, maintain, access and manipulate data. The first step of creating one is to design the database schema, which is achievable once the data fields have been determined, and the relationships between them have been(...)
- Red teamA red team is an independent group that challenges an organization to improve its effectiveness by assuming an attacker’s role. This is often done by attempting to hack or penetrate the organization’s security.
- Security Program ManagementCybersecurity work where a person:manages information security (e.g., information security) implications within the organization, specific program, or other area of responsibility, to include strategic, personnel, infrastructure, policy enforcement, emergency planning, security awareness, and(...)
- Situational awarenessComprehending information about the current and developing security posture and risks, based on information gathered, observation and analysis, and knowledge or experience.In cybersecurity, comprehending the current status and security posture with respect to availability, confidentiality,(...)
- Streaming AnalyticsStreaming Analytics is a fairly new area of research which hopes to bypass the efficiency of traditional statistical and data processing methods in order to cope with the rising levels of big data.
- Structured versus unstructured dataThe majority of structured data is developed on the Web.Structured data can be generated by hand in the form of notes or contents from filing cabinets, but will invariably be stored electronically into spreadsheets and databases. For the most part, structured data refers to information(...)
- Tokyo Commodities ExchangeTokyo Commodities Exchange , also known as TOCOM, is not only Japan’s primary commodity exchange; it is one of the most important commodity exchanges in the world.