NEW YORK, October 6, 2022 – Membership of the International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc. (ISDA) has exceeded 1,000 firms for the first time in its history, reflecting strong demand across the globe for ISDA’s suite of industry products, services, solutions, documentation and advocacy.
ISDA’s members span 78 countries and comprise institutions from across the derivatives market, including banks, asset managers, insurance companies, government and supranational entities, corporations, market infrastructure, vendors and law firms. More information on ISDA’s membership is available here.
“This is a big milestone for ISDA and reflects the work we’re doing on many fronts to provide value to our membership. As well as providing documentation, definitions and legal opinions that provide critical clarity to derivatives counterparties on their rights and obligations following a default, we’ve expanded our services to provide a variety of industry solutions, including the ISDA Standard Initial Margin Model, ISDA Create, digital regulatory reporting and benchmarking for standardized approach capital models. We’ll continue to serve our members by developing services and solutions that create efficiency and reduce costs,” said Scott O’Malia, ISDA’s Chief Executive.
“Hitting the 1,000-member landmark shows there continues to be very strong support for ISDA’s mission of fostering safe and efficient derivatives markets. ISDA was built on a strong foundation of developing legal documentation and legal opinions and has kept a constant focus on providing value to the membership and the derivatives community as a whole. This has benefitted member institutions from all corners of the derivatives market, both in developed and emerging and developing jurisdictions,” said Eric Litvack, ISDA’s Chairman.
- ISDA was established in 1985 to provide standards, documentation and definitions for the then-nascent over-the-counter derivatives market.
- ISDA crossed the 500-member mark in 2001 and had 822 members at the start of 2012.
- Approximately 21% of ISDA members are dealers, 33% are service providers and 46% are end users.
- Around 46% of ISDA members are from Europe, 30% are based in North America and 14% are in Asia-Pacific.
- ISDA services and solutions include netting and other legal options, protocols, legal documentation and definitions, the ISDA Standard Initial Margin Model, the ISDA Create documentation negotiation platform, the Common Domain Model, the MyLibrary digital documentation platform, ISDA Standardized Approach Benchmarking and the Digital Regulatory Reporting initiative.
More information on ISDA’s services is available on ISDA’s website.
Since 1985, ISDA has worked to make the global derivatives markets safer and more efficient. Today, ISDA has over 1,000 member institutions from 78 countries. These members comprise a broad range of derivatives market participants, including corporations, investment managers, government and supranational entities, insurance companies, energy and commodities firms, and international and regional banks. In addition to market participants, members also include key components of the derivatives market infrastructure, such as exchanges, intermediaries, clearing houses and repositories, as well as law firms, accounting firms and other service providers. Information about ISDA and its activities is available on the Association’s website: www.isda.org.